As noted in the training ‘Supporting Neuro-developmental Differences, Awareness Level’ (Highland Council 2019) the core features of emotional development are:
- Ability to identify and understand one’s own feelings
- To accurately read and comprehend emotional states in others
- To manage strong emotions and their expression in a constructive manner
- To regulate one’s own behaviour
- To develop empathy for other
National Scientific Council on the Developing Child (2004)
In this EASEYS for ASN document we are focusing on the Emotional section of the 6 areas of development covered in the training but at the same time recognising that there is an overlap between some areas so it’s not always just about emotional development.